CALLS FOR SUBMISSIONS, GUIDELINES
Wisconsin Wrights 2017 New Play Development Project
Call for Submission
We are now accepting scripts for the 2017 Wisconsin Wrights New Play Development Project. Up to three selected playwrights will be given the opportunity to develop their plays with professional directors, dramaturgs, and actors. Rehearsals culminate in a public reading during Forward Theater’s 2017-2018 season. Wisconsin Wrights provides an extraordinary opportunity for the expansion and exercise of the playwriting craft, exploration of characters, and constructive critique by caring, invested artists.
The deadline for submissions for Wisconsin Wrights is February 1st, 2017 with the selection process taking place from February through May 2017. Finalists will be announced in mid-June 2017.
Wisconsin Wrights will accept submissions from current Wisconsin residents only. Two to three finalists will be chosen from these submissions.
Each playwright is limited to one script submission per project cycle.
Plays must be new works. Adaptations (or any other use of material protected by copyright) must include proof of rights to use source material. Translations will not be accepted.
A non-refundable reader's fee of $30 must accompany each submission. We will offer a link for online payment starting December 1, 2016. This fee is not used to cover any administrative costs, but to provide a stipend to the qualified readers who will read, evaluate, and provide written feedback for each script.
A link for online payment is in the Submission Guidelines and Requirements below.
Submission guidelines and requirements
Click here for online payment of the $30 submission fee: SUBMISSION FEE PAYMENT
1. Play must be an original full-length work that has not previously been fully produced, whether as a professional or amateur production (this includes fully staged productions in an academic setting). Plays that have had staged readings are eligible. At this time, musicals and screenplays will not be accepted.
2. Scripts should follow the standard professional play format. All scripts must be submitted electronically in PDF format. Save files as AUTHOR LAST NAME - PLAY TITLE.pdf. (For example: Bezos_That Rocking Jungle.pdf)
3. All other author information should be listed on the application forms only. No reference to the author is permitted in the body of the manuscript – including on the title page.
4. Submit electronic entries to: WisconsinWrights@forwardtheater.com using the subject line: WW Submission – Play Title.
5. Attach the following three items to your submission email: a completed entry form/application packet, a copy of your signed release agreement, and the script. Click the links below to download the required forms.
Download the WI Wrights Entry Form/Application Packet
Download the WI Wrights Release Agreement
6. Entry fee of $30 must be received in order for a script to be considered for the New Play Development Project. We will offer a link for online payment starting December 1, 2016.
Deadlines and Notification
1. All entries must be submitted by 5:00 PM Central Standard Time on Feb 1st, 2017.
2. Wisconsin Wrights New Play Development Project Finalists will be announced by June 15, 2017. The selected playwrights will be notified by email and phone.
Please note: In order to receive a Wisconsin Wrights reading, the playwright must be available to participate in project activities including rehearsals, production meetings, and public readings.
Screening: Each application will be screened for eligibility (a completed application packet, play in the correct format, signed release form, and entry fee).
First Round: Each script is read and evaluated by at least two first round readers. Based on evaluations, semi-finalists will advance to the final round.
Second Round: The semi-finalists are read and evaluated by the final panel of evaluators. Up to three finalists are chosen for a staged reading by Forward Theater Company.
Feedback: First round readers and second round panel evaluators will provide written feedback on the works that they evaluate. Readers’ names will be removed, and the anonymous feedback will be emailed to playwrights after final selections are announced.
For more information
Forward Theater Company does not currently accept unsolicited submissions.
Forward is committed to supporting playwrights and encouraging new works, and does have some opportunities for new scripts to be read and reviewed for possible readings or production. Please see above for more information.